Saturday, January 15, 2011

3 Months of Challenges

I have decided to make a list of things you should keep in mind if you ever decide to move to California.  This list it compiled of the things we have quickly been introduced to in our first 3 months here.  So take a gander and have some laughs along the way, we sure have.
  1. King bed please. Oh, Ok what size???:  We sold our bed (well practicly everything) before we moved so a bed was THE FIRST item on our purchase list, however we had no idea what we were getting into.  In KY your options are Twin, Full, Queen, or King that's it you get 4 choices it's not complicated, much to our surprise this would be much more difficult on the west coast.  Here there are two options in the King bed category Eastern King or California King; what is the difference you say.  Well about 8 inches length wise and 12 inches width wise; let me explain.  An Eastern King is the standard King size (we had no idea there was more than one) approx. 76"x72". A California King is skinnier and longer. I have no idea what "California" was thinking when they decided they needed their own bed, what the crap, I guess they just wanted to confuse everyone.
  2. *At the supermarket*, I'll have Ham & Cheese Loaf. *Gets very strange looks from deli worker* You mean you want ham and cheese, what kind we have honey ham, baked ham, hickory ham?:  Ok so I'm looking at this lady like uhh no and after a long discussion and the feeling of complete embarrassment, they don't have ham and cheese loaf, they've actually NEVER heard of it.  So going to supermarket after supermarket, deli after deli, meat market after meat market they literally do not have ham and cheese loaf in a 20 mile radius.  They have olive loaf, which I have never heard of.
  3. *Getting Directions*, It's at the NW corner of Herndon & Blackstone *looks dumb founded*:  I had no idea what a cross street was much less the NorthWest corner.  So in KY the roads are twisty and turny and sometimes the same road will pass through the other multiple times, NOT here.  The roads are either vertical or horizontal, with the exception of HWY 168 which runs diagonal.  So when you go to find a business someone will give cross streets, then you just have to look for it.  Something may actually be in the middle the road not on the corner at all but it's still considered at the crossroad.  Confusing!!!  Then if you ask what is it next to (because this is how normal people give directions..lol) you get the response at the cross streets. WOW, what an experience.
  4. The DMV line is how long!!??: Note getting licensed in CA is one thing but the line OMG.  Even if you get there at 7:45, 15 minutes before opening the line is already wrapped around the building. NO JOKE. I have been to the DMV 2 times already and have waited no less than 2 hours to get seen.  Then you might have to wait 3 or 4 times after that just to get what you need.
  5. Smog Check??:  So after you wait in the line (see previous number) you get to the counter and they say I need your smog check certificate.  Of course I have no idea what a smog check is the lady, who is apparently aggravated because she has some attitude, tells me to go to "cross streets" pay to get my car checked for smog, then come back to said DMV, wait in long line to get my car licensed.  Also note: I have already paid $250 (yes two hundred and fifty dollars) just to get my car registered in CA. OMG I almost passed out.  I think I like my $98 registration fee in KY much better.
  6. Sweet Tea:  They have unsweet but you can put sugar in it.  Wow because that tastes the same...lol.  The only place we have been that has sweet tea is McDonald's, however it is as good as back home.
  7. Which red light do I look at?:  Ok so when you go up to the light there is one red light for every lane, however placed slightly differently.
  8. U-Turn: in one word AMAZING!!  Having never experienced u-turns it was a hard concept to comprehend however it's great.  They have medians in all the roads and then when  you want to turn across the street (not at a cross street) or go the opposite directions you get in the median and you just turn around.  It is very nice since you don't have to pull in some where then turn around then wait for traffic, and that whole process.  They also have uturns at red lights which is also great.
  9. The people are really nice: Other than cranky lady at the DMV in a previous number these people are so very nice, which is not something I expected.  Everyone is so willing to help you in any way necessary it's almost unbelievable.
  10. Savemart is wonderful: We don't have any of the typical grocery stores (aka Food Lion, Kroger, Publix, IGA, etc.). There are 3 I have currently found Savemart, VONS, and FoodMaxx.  Savemart is closer and on our side of the road so it was our first choice.  After finding they do not carry numerous "Midwest (yes apparently KY is located in the Midwest, that was new to me too)" items we finally make our way to the checkout.  They ask paper or plastic, I didn't know there was a choice, but I chose plastic because we reuse it.  Then you'll get a kick out of this...they offered to take our groceries to the car AND load them.  How sweet is that.  I was instantly sold, so now I grocery shop no where but Savemart.  Not that I always use the "sack and load" option but I know it's there so they've made a customer for life.
Well that's about all I can come up with at the moment.  I'm sure there are more, but my brain is exhausted at this point.  So look for new lists soon :)

1 comment:

  1. So, I think of you every time that I see California king. I have been looking for sheets lately and it keeps coming up. I had no idea that they even existed!

    ReplyDelete